NHS services during the Christmas and New Year bank holidays

Here’s a quick guide to where you can access the right health care for you over the Christmas and New Year bank holidays.

Medicines at home

It is good practice to keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet or box at home.  The items this could include are painkillers, antihistamines, oral rehydration salts, anti-diarrhoea tablets, sunscreen, indigestion treatment, a first aid kit and any repeat prescriptions you may need.

High street pharmacies are a great resource and can help advice you on what medicines are right for you and your family.  Just pop in to any pharmacy, they will be happy to help.


If you are unsure what to do, call 111, where you can speak with a medical professional 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Following a conversation with you, they will be able to advise on what course of action is right for you, this could include being directed to a pharmacy, making a GP appointment, or calling an ambulance for you.


For all minor health issues, medicines advice, and other services such as contraception, weight management, stopping smoking, your high street pharmacist is the NHS professional to go to.  They offer free advice without any appointments.  You can visit any pharmacist, meaning that if you are at work, away from home, or visiting friends and family, you will always be able to speak with a medical professional in person no matter where you are in the country.

Opening times for pharmacies in Kingston borough and across London can be found as a download on the right hand side.  

Pharmacies should be open at normal hours at all other times. 


GP appointments will be available through extended access times across the borough.  During the week, simply call your GP practice to make an appointment, or at weekends call either 111 or 020 3841 9942 for an appointment.

Urgent treatment centre

If you have something that needs urgent medical attention, like an injury or burn, urgent treatment centres are the place to go.  To find the nearest one to you, search here https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/  


If you have an emergency, call 999 or go to A&E.

Accident and emergency departments are for seriously ill people with life threatening conditions, so we would encourage you to use alternative health services if the issue isn’t an emergency.


Further information

If you have any questions, would like further information about the changes or would like someone from the CCG to come and talk to your organisation about these changes, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Leave a Reply