Essential advice for residents
NHS Sutton is highlighting top tips on winter health to ensure residents keep warm and well and look after themselves, their home and others to fend off winter bugs and illness.
This year with the Omicron variant of Covid-19, flu and other seasonal viruses circulating, Sutton residents are encouraged to follow this important information to stay well this winter.
The most effective way to prevent becoming severely ill with Covid-19 or the flu is to keep up-to-date with your vaccinations, and have them done when you are invited. It’s not too late to have your Covid-19 vaccine, booster, or flu jab. Find out where you can get your vaccination at the NHS South West London CCG website. You can also find a local pharmacy offering the flu jab here: www.nhs.uk
Everyone is advised to get medical help as soon as you feel unwell. The sooner you get advice, the sooner you are likely to get better.
- Your local pharmacist is well placed to help you if you have a minor illness with help, advice and treatments
- Your GP is there for you if you are worried about your or your family’s health
- You can also contact NHS 111 by visiting 111.nhs.uk or calling 111
- If you have a life threatening medical emergency, call 999
Don’t delay getting medical help if you are unwell.
Cold weather can make some health problems worse and even lead to serious complications, especially if you are over 65, or if you have a long-term health condition. The winter advice includes:
- Heating your home to at least 18°C all day long if you are over 65 and can. If you are under 65, the heating can be cooler as long as you are comfortable
- Check on vulnerable neighbours, relatives and friends to ensure they are safe, warm and well
- Use a hot water bottle to keep warm in bed
- Have at least one hot meal a day and have regular hot drinks
- Draw your curtains or close blinds in the evening and keep doors closed to block out draughts
- Have your heating system checked regularly by a qualified professional
There are more top tips for winter health on the NHS website.
Older residents can access advice and support from Age UK Sutton – visit their Winter Health Hub here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/sutton/our-services/winter-health-hub/