A proposal for kidney services at St Helier and St George’s hospitals
The way we provide some care for our kidney (renal) patients could change from 2025.
Kidney doctors and nurses working at St Helier and St George’s hospitals have a proposal to improve kidney care and you can read all the information on the proposal on these pages.
We invited formal feedback from patients, the public and anyone with a view on these proposals between 27 July and 7 September 2021. The feedback we received is being independently compiled so that it can be taken into account when a decision is made.
Instead of continuing to have inpatient renal care at two hospitals, renal doctors and nurses would like to bring this more specialist care together in a single new £80m unit at St George’s Hospital.
The main changes would affect about five percent of patient’s contact with renal services:
Kidney patients needing inpatient (overnight) care
- You would go to the new kidney unit at St George’s for treatment for surgery, transplants and acute kidney injury.
Some patients who need more specialised outpatient support
- Patients who may need extra support and advice, for example after a transplant, would go to St George’s.
- Some outpatient appointments would move to St Helier, such as training for home dialysis.
There will be no changes to other kidney services
- 95 percent of a patient’s contact with kidney services will remain the same.
- No changes to existing dialysis services and kidney clinics in local hospitals, units or at home. For example, if you receive support within the community for your kidney treatment, this will continue.
Artist’s impressions (draft subject to change)
You can read the summary, which explains the proposals in more detail, including how these ideas would improve kidney care in south west London and the impacts some patients may experience.
You can also read more about where this proposal has come from and why some kidney services will be moving from St Helier Hospital to another hospital.
We’ve published some case studies, to illustrate how the proposals could affect different patients, and also artist’s impressions so you can see how the brand new unit at St George’s Hospital could look in the future.
Find out more about where current renal clinics are and what care they provide in our renal clinics explainer.
Alternatively, explore all the documentation.