The Learning Disability Mortality Review (LeDeR) Programme is delivered by the University of Bristol. It is commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) on behalf of NHS England. Work on the LeDeR programme commenced in June 2015 for an initial three year period.
A key part of the LeDeR programme is to support local areas to review the deaths of people with Learning Disabilities (deaths include from age 4 and above) , helping to promote and implement the new review process, and providing support to local areas to take forward the lessons learned in the reviews in order to make improvements to service provision. The LeDeR Programme also collate and share anonymised information about the deaths of people with learning disabilities so that common themes, learning points and recommendations can be identified and taken forward into policy and practice improvements.
Read more at leder.nhs.uk
The Local LeDeR Steering Group
The Designated Safeguarding Adults
Lead for NHS Wandsworth and Merton CCG is also the Local Area Contact and
chairs the Steering group in partnership for co-chairing on a rotational basis
with both members from Wandsworth and Merton Local Authorities.
The role of the LeDeR Steering Group is to:
- View reports of completed reviews presented by the reviewers or Local Area Contact (anonymised)
- Monitor actions and outcomes
- Respond to recommendations to improve service provision and reduce likelihood of premature deaths
- Demonstrate impact of changes
- Recognise and share best practice and innovation
- Provide evidence to LeDeR of actions taken (meeting minutes)
The Steering group was reviewed and will be on a quarterly basis. The group is attended by representatives from adults social care, reviewers, managers of services and practitioners, family/carers representative and advocates, Health representative e.g GPs, psychiatrist in Learning Disabilities services, Child Death Overview Panel members, patient representatives.
- June 2021 – stakeholder briefing in easy read
- June 2021 – Action from learning case studies
- June 2021 – Action from learning report and helpful resources
- July 2020 – Action from learning report
- LeDeR Annual Report 2020
- Summary of findings 50 LeDeR reviews of deaths related to COVID 19
- Deaths of people with learning disabilities from COVID19 (easy read)
- June 2020 – Information about how many people with a learning disability have died during the coronavirus outbreak in 2020 compared to 2019 (easy read)
- May 2019 – Action from LeDeR learning report (including full and easy read versions)
- May 2019 – Resources on constipation
- May 2019 – Interim findings from the CQC review of the use of restrictive interventions in places that provide care for people with mental health problems, a learning disability and/or autism
- May 2019 – ‘Far less than they deserve: Children with learning disabilities or autism living in mental health hospitals’
Who to contact
Please contact Marino Latour, Designated Safeguarding Adults Lead and Local Area Contact for NHS Wandsworth and Merton CCG, for any information about LeDeR or if you wish to become a reviewer or wish to attend the Steering Group.